Monday, February 28, 2011

I'm Sensing A Theme

Okay, okay, I can take a hint.  I'm not sure WHAT hint exactly I'm supposed to take, but I'm sensing I'm getting a gentle nudge.  Down a very steep hill.

Made it to Mass this morning (shocker, for the amount of times I hit snooze) and the Gospel was about a man who approached Jesus and asked Him what must he do to gain eternal life.  Jesus responded you must follow all the commandments, yada yada yada... and the man said he did all this.  Then Jesus replied he must give up his possessions; to sell them, give the money to the poor and to follow Him.  Naturally, the man grieved as he wasn't ready to give everything up just yet, for he was quite wealthy.  From this reading (Mk 10, 17-27), the saying is taken, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God".

I don't know what I'm supposed to do.  Am I really supposed to give up everything I own, become a nun like I'd once looked into?  Am I just supposed to clean out my closet a little more?  I'm not quite sure because it hasn't been articulated to me. I'm home today and I will try to add to my already-growing pile of donation.. but there's only so much I can do (says me).  I was quite sure I recently saw how my new passions intertwined with a proposed career path... so I'm not sure how that fits into play.  I'm a little befuddled as to how to move forward.

As a side tangent, my friend is doing better.  They're weaning her off her meds and will try to wake her up soon, so hopefully that is successful (when one wakes up to see one has a tube in their throat, one tends to freak out).  So here's hoping it gets better from here.

2 comments:

hydra said...

That's great news about your friend. Hope she continues to improve. As for 'worldly goods'... I think the Bible is talking about our attachment to them being worldly rather than spiritual. But you could say that the Bible itself is a 'worldly good' and surely God wouldn't expect you to sell that!

Perovskia said...

She had a bad night last night, I'm told. She's swollen again and can't extubate her. They tried bringing her out of sedation and it didn't go well. But, then she's having a bit of a better day today.

Ha, on the contrary! I think one should pass along the bible to spread The Word! :)

Copyright Text