Friday, November 5, 2010

The Week So Far...

Just chillin' with some jazz on in the background, trying to take in the day.  It was my first day of being trained on days at work.  My co-workers and I are wondering why I was trained on one of the more challenging floors/routines at first, but I'm just rolling with it (I've learned where to spend my energy questioning things, and where not to).  So... I was up at 0500 this morning and oddly... it wasn't that difficult.  I was reluctant to get out of my warm bed, I won't lie.  It was also a little hard to stay alert, whilst feeling half awake, trying to take in all this new information.  I'm not sure how much stuck.  I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning to find out (I'm going to try to do most of it myself).

I had this past weekend off and it was good; had a small dinner party Sunday night complete with turkey breast, green beans, purple potatoes, apple crisp & vanilla ice cream.  Yum.  Oh, and with a couple of people I see not near as often as I'd like ;)

Monday was work while Tuesday and Wednesday were dealing with a bag of apples I got at market the previous Saturday.  I ended up making 5 mini apple crisps (to freeze - hopefully give as gifts and/or for myself at a later date), apple chips (first time.. and YUM) and apple sauce (also first time).  I froze some sauce and kept some in the fridge.  I'll thaw and cook one of the apple crisps myself to see how they turned out (I've never frozen it before).  Literally for 2 days I didn't leave the kitchen.  It was nice :)  I almost made cookies, too, but I was starting to get tired (despite my ambition).

Got my second assignment back; still in the 90's.  I don't think I've gotten 90's in my life so I'm still a little in shock.

Had a meeting with my department director today and it went very well; it lasted an hour.  She surprises me sometimes... for all the (appearing, to some) asinine changes that are happening in our department, she knows what's going on.  Or maybe she's just really good at bluffing.  Ah well, either way, that's why she gets paid the big bucks.  I got positive feedback from the recent Leadership sessions I took and she thinks I'm going in the right direction.  I got a couple of ideas for inspiration so I hope to act on them.

Okay, I think that's all.  I'm bloody tired and it's only 20:09 - and I don't care.  I'll be going to bed in an hour or so (I say that, but I'll want to watch Greys, so I might veg on the couch).  I feel bad that I didn't make it to Mass tonight (or choir for that fact), but I feel better taking it easy at home.  I'll go next Thursday when I feel a little more used to the new schedule.

For those of you who I haven't spoken to in a while.. drop a line. I wonder how you're doing :)

Hope everyone else had a great week as it comes to a close.

4 comments:

Bix said...

How do you make apple chips?

Perovskia said...

So easy.. slice 1-2 apples with a mandolin (into lemon water so they don't oxidize), lay on a Silpat sheet or parchment paper (don't use foil for lack of having the other two as the apples will stick - I learned this the hard way) and bake for a couple hours at your lowest temp. Oh, and sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon & sugar (2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon) before baking.

YUM.

See site I borrowed it from..
http://purplefoodie.com/apple-chips/

Bix said...

I am absolutely going to try this!!

Perovskia said...

Let me know if you do any variations, I'd love to hear them.

Copyright Text