Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thoughts

What a great start to the day (well, even if it's a late start - it's almost noon).  I got to talk to an old friend on the phone and catch up a little.  I miss S.  He's in Toronto, on the east side, and I'm....not.  I hope to head to the big city this summer, spend a couple days and meet up with people.  He'll be at the top of the list.

I went to bed with a heavy heart last night, but it's lifted a bit.  It hasn't completely gone away, but it has made dealing with the day more bearable.

With the recent birthday, I got thinking on the way to work yesterday; why do we care?  Why do we care what day we were born?  It's just a day like any other.  We're senselessly counting down the days to the end (macabre, I know), reminding us we're "another year older".  Do we need an excuse to be with friends, family?  To party?  To give presents and show someone we care?  The Jehovah Witness are the only one's I'm aware of that don't celebrate birthdays (not to turn this into a faith-thing, just observing, and my gram is JW, so I know first-hand.  Ha!  Did she flip when she heard I converted to Catholicism!).  Moving on.  So I'm trying to search for a more positive spin on birthdays.  Not that spending it with friends and family isn't positive.  Sigh.  You know what I'm trying to say (I hope).  Anyways, most of these just start out as thoughts and don't progress to anything else, so...next topic....

The last two courses have been applied for so I await paperwork.  I hear they're a little easier than the last ones I did.  Phew.

Helped an old lady up on the curb yesterday on the way to physio.  Her husband dropped her off at the side of the street and she walked towards the curb and you could tell she was trying to judge how to approach it (the street is under construction and the final layer of pavement isn't on yet, so there were two levels she had to walk up).  Hehe.. she looked back at her husband with a look of, 'Well, now why did you drop me off here, how the hell am I supposed to climb up this curb??' and looked back at the curb.  Enter me.  I went down to ask if she needed help, she accepted and I grabbed her hand and helped her up.  She thanked me a couple times, I said 'welcome', smiled and went on my way.  Turned back, gave her a husband a nod of 'I'm okay' and also went on her way.  Is this a big deal?  No, it shouldn't be, but to me it is a bit.  I chose not to walk by, I chose not to ignore her like I could have (and many do).  I made the conscious decision to not ignore.  Was it a hard one?  Shamefully, a little.  But I hope it'll help me to do more acts like that in the future.

Seems there was so much more I wanted to talk about, but it's completely left me.  So I guess I'll clean up after making pancakes this morning, get dressed, putter around a bit.  Hope everyone's having a good week!

No comments:

Copyright Text