Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Fun Evening

Warning: sensitive topic ahead.

Tonight was a (pleasant) break from the ordinary.  C.Z asked me to come to the university to meet up with her to see a movie the university's Right to Life group was putting on about euthanasia/end of life care.  I thought, since my opinions haven't been fully developed in this area especially where faith is concerned, I'd give it a go.  So I met up with her in the room (I didn't get lost!) and we saw said movie and had a discussion afterwards.  I think I left more confused than I was going in.  For some reason I can't wrap my head around the fact that suicide is legal and assisted suicide is not.  I don't know why this sticks out, it just does.  I am very much pro-choice about a lot of things in life...but...I guess I'm having a problem with "where do I get to keep my independence yet do what is "morally" correct?"  We always want to do what the right thing is, but what if those "right things" are different from my personal thoughts/values/opinions on subject?  How do we stay at peace with our decision?  There are a million ways you can argue why it's right and there are a million ways you can argue why it's wrong.  Yes it's hard for the family to watch someone suffer (who are often doing worse than the person, because that person is usually wrapped up in survival).  Yes it might not seem like a good 'quality' of life (though we could even extend it and define 'good').  That person may want to die because they don't feel they don't have any dignity left - but what are *we* doing to aid in that dignity?  That compassion.  That supportive role that we can play in helping that person feel better and more positive about themselves and their situation.  No one likes to suffer, but we must do it.  We can question it, but we may not get any answers.  Lets say if I'm dying, suffering may not necessarily teach me a (life) lesson, but it may teach...insert person connected to me here....something.  I don't think it's that I'm for euthanasia, I just don't want anyone to tell me I can't do it.

On a brighter note.....

After said discussion we parted ways.  I was to meet up with C.Z afterwards, about an hour later.  I walked around campus a little, grabbed something to eat and plopped myself at a table in the caf and people-watched :)  Visiting a university is good for the soul.  It's got a good energy, a younger vibe to it.  Wakes you up if you've been sleepin' a while, if you know what I'm sayin' ;)  My friend arrived avec des amis (2, in fact) and we sat and talked and had VERY random conversations.  It was great.  I haven't had laughs like that in a while.  What a great start to the week!  I met new people, got to talk to someone else a little bit more that I'd previously met a few weeks ago.  Part of me is sad that they're not a little older.  Listen, I'm not age-discriminating, but there's a difference of demeanor when there's 13 years difference.  I need to meet more people my age.  But, I am happy with these friends - they're very intelligent people that I'm proud to associate with.

Thank God for friends.

No comments:

Copyright Text