Monday, January 25, 2010

Haiti

Alright, I'm going to give an unpopular (though not foreign) opinion.  This is driving me up the wall and well, thank God for Canada I have the power to exercise free speech.  You can agree or disagree (or agree to disagree).

I'm tired of hearing about Haiti, plain and simple.  Every time I turn on the TV.  Every time I check the news online.  Freaking Facebook, for crying out loud!  Everywhere: Haiti.  Do you know how much the world has raised for Haiti?  $67 million to date.  $67 million.  That's more than that country will ever see in a lifetime.  Perhaps even 5 lifetimes.  We're spending all our resources to help a country that was already poor to begin with when we won't even help ourselves.  Canada, which is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world, is still dealing with child poverty (just to take one issue as an example).  This is unacceptable.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help Haiti.  I'm not saying that at all.  They definitely deserve help (medical, re-building and otherwise) and it's all part and parcel belonging to the U.N, right?  But I don't think we should expend our resources and energy completely when we can't even help ourselves.

No comments:

Copyright Text