Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harry, Poetry and Market

Just a few random things today.

Yesterday had two good things; Harry Potter and old poetry books. My views on Harry Potter are held with some people, but not all. It was a good movie (they all are), but I don't believe it was of the same calibre as the previous HP movies. There were some.. how can I say.. emotional components missing. It was good! Don't get me wrong, but it wasn't "I'm in awe, I can't wait till this comes out on video so I can watch it repeatedly" sort of good. Anyways, this opinion isn't held by everyone so I'm going to keep the rest to myself for those fans that haven't seen it yet. It *was* fun to watch.

I collect old poetry books and I was lucky to obtain 2 yesterday. One of Byron, which oddly has no print date. I'm going to have to research why not (did they only start printing publishing dates in books after a certain time?). I'm going to estimate it's printed in the 1800's. It contains the infamous, "When We Two Parted". It also has facsimile's of his letters and some drawn and oil-painted art. Another book I obtained is called, "Later Poems By Bliss Carman" printed 1921 who incidentally is a Canadian poet. I've never heard of this poet before so I was interested to come across this book. An excerpt as follows...

I am the breath of being,
The primal urge of things;
I am the whirl of star dust,
I am the lift of wings.

Within the dying ashes
I blow the sacred spark,
And make the hearts of lovers
To leap against the dark.*

How can this guy not be famous?? I've never come across him. Anyhoo, it's a good find.

Today's goodness started with a visit to the market. My goal was to find strawberries and maple syrup. Alas! No strawberries! Where are all the Ontario strawberries?!? *sigh* I was able to get the syrup, though and cherries and sugar snap peas. Mmm. Then attended our city's Art on the Street Festival (an exhibition where local artists show their items). Always fun.

Well, the rest of this weekend, I think, will be low-key. Work, Mass and studying. Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

*Earth Voices, poem orig. published 1916, Bliss Carman


No comments:

Copyright Text